Monday, January 02, 2006

A Lifelong Dream

Ever had a lifelong dream? One you had as a kid but wonder as an adult if it's ever gonna come true?

Well, here is mine. My dream is to thru hike the Appalachian Trail.

What is thru hiking? Doing the entire trail in one long, continuous hike. Over 2,000 miles. Six months. Carrying your house on your back. Hiking every day. A back breaking, knee buckling adventure.

WHY???

Am I insane?

Some think so. My family did when I was a teenager. I'd make them stop at every trail crossing so I could walk down this narrow footpath and gaze at white blazes painted on the trees. I sent away for literature. I stared at road maps to see where the trail meandered. I eagerly looked out the car window for trail crossings. I thought about it ALL THE TIME and without ever putting a backpack on my back. And now, 30 years later, I think about it as I backpack or sit quietly in my home. It is still a dream. But a dream that is getting ever closer to reality.

Do you have a dream? A dream thirty years old? Hey, it may yet come true.

No comments: