Sunday, December 31, 2017

What a Year of Blissful Hiking

2017 ended up being a year of great hiking adventures across several states!


The Florida Trail:

What began at the end of 2016 in the Great Cypress Swamp started up once more in earnest in 2017
as I continued to trek north through the state of Florida. 2017 saw me by the Kissimmee River, around Orlando, and through the Ocala National Forest to the halfway point. I also secured a book contract on this unique wander with my publisher WhiteFire Publishing who also published my AT adventures in Mountains, Madness and Miracles - 4000 Miles along the Appalachian Trail. Tentative title - "Gators and Guts to Glory, Adventures on the Florida Trail." Stay tuned.

Florida Trail Journal

Florida Trail Info


Appalachian Trail Section Hike:

I continued my quest for a third go-around on the AT with a section hike in lower PA, from Pen Mar Park to Duncannon. I also completed my 6th year as a ridgerunner and 5th year in Shenandoah National Park working along the AT.





Speaking Opportunities:

New this year - the Ranger and the Bear Children's program
Once again this year I was able to speak at several libraries about my AT adventures and developed a new children's program on the AT and backpacking. I enjoy teaching about hiking and hope for more opportunities.

Speaking Information









The Colorado Trail:



While not planned at all when the year began, by March I was seriously thinking about hiking this unique trail from Durango to Denver. I completed a thru hike of it from August 21 to September 26 with beauty and adventure all the way, meeting wonderful trail angels and hikers, as well as hiking for my first time at elevation. And using an Ursack.

Colorado Trail Journal (in progress)

Colorado Trail Info


New Gear Added:

I expanded my gear this year to include a large size Bear Vault and an Ursack for hiking in the western regions.


Goals for 2018:  Finish the Florida Trail and finish the book on it. Do more section hiking of the AT. Find future speaking opportunities. And dream big.


What are your hiking goals?

No comments: