Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thanksgiving Week

I have plenty to be thankful for as I enter this Thanksgiving week. Especially for the opportunity to do a thru hike, a dream I have had since I was a teen. We were hoping to get out this week and do a section between James River and Tye River in VA but it didn't work out. I have too much writing to accomplish and early deadlines to meet (books must be in house for the editors so they can be checked before I leave on my hike). So we will likely do the section during the thru unless something opens up in Jan or Feb. Those months will certainly be a flurry of activity as I prepare with lists, mail drops, etc. Not only for the thru but to make sure everything is set on the home front as well. A lot to think about. I do get out and walk. I figure by December I will be getting out more and more with my pack on my back around the neighborhood. For now I am trying to walk four miles with my hiking poles to get limbered up. Maybe I can throw in a few day hikes here and there, but this is a very busy time of year, for certain. I'll be glad to do what I can. Every little bit helps. But I know nothing can truly prepare you except doing the actual hike itself.

No comments: