Thursday, March 01, 2012

White Oak Canyon in Shenandoah, Not For Summer

Wow, did I have a treat one winter's day hiking one of the most popular trails in Shenandoah National Park. I was on the first leg of what would become a seventeen mile day for me, but I was greatly surprised by what I found. Being mid week in February, with leafless trees and just a bit of ice on the rocks to remind me we are still in winter's grasp, I delighted in viewing the thunder of new waterfalls in White Oak Canyon that I'd never seen before.

Take a look at some of these gems I discovered in this remarkable canyon and try to venture out to see it before the area fills with tourists and leaves hide these beautiful spectacles.

Map of the area.






The first set of falls when starting from Weakley Hollow. Easy to spot any time of year.












A nice set of falls that would otherwise be hidden in the summer.






 
 
Video I took showcasing some hidden features.




The main waterfall tourists are treated to when coming down into White Oak Canyon   



No comments: