Wednesday, August 07, 2013

A Solution to Hiker Funk?


We all know that fragrant aroma drifting down the trail or on the street, accompanied by a dirty hiker carrying a backpack. It's the "odor" of being out in the woods for days on end. No baths, sweating from the hike. The stink of hiker funk.

My son and I on Clingmans Dome on our thru hike, sweaty and dirty, and yeah, smelly.

I had the opportunity to test out a product that claims to stop sweating and smell for at least seven days. It's called Sweat Block. As a ridgerunner for Shenandoah National Park, I was out for five days straight without a shower. I did not want to carry deodorant, nor did I want the perfume attracting unwanted company in the form of bugs and animals. And I sure did want to smell pleasant around the public.

So I was interested to try the samples of Sweat Block. It's name to fame is one application that lasts for at least seven days (if not longer). No sweating. No stink.


It comes in a small white presaturated pad. You dab it on under your arm pits and let it dry.

So far, so good.

I did the "smell" test of my shirt after five days of hiking in sticky, humid weather.

No odor.

Huh?

I arrived back home after five days and took a shower. I deliberately did not put on any more deodorant.

Still no odor. It also works even if you take a shower.

I am going on ten days now without anti perspirant and still, no sweaty odor.

Could it be that hiker funk may be solved and we can all breathe a little easier in shelters and in towns?

Maybe. Give it a try and see what you think. I, for one, love this stuff. I only hope the price does go down on it.

SweatBlock website

From the web site - "SweatBlock was developed when a chemist who suffered from hyperhidrosis decided to find a treatment for his own sweating problems. After years of research, testing and tweaking, he finally created the super strong, sweat-stopping SweatBlock formula."
  

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Seems like a great product. Would it work on the feet, too? Would you want it to?

Lauralee Bliss said...

I would contact the company on that and see if it would work on feet.