Green Mountain NF Closure Notice
Green Mountain National Forest Status Report of damage and closures to roads and facilities
Other updates (9/2/11) for New York (including the Catskills and Adirondacks) and New Jersey can be found on the updated Hurricane Irene blog entry.
Update - 9/6/2011
Check the Green Mountain Club website for updated status reports. The National Forest at this time is still closed.
Update - 9/16/11 from Laurie at the ATC
Opened now in Vermont:
An 18-mile continuous section:
- 86.8 – 104.2 Vt. 103 (just north of Clarendon Gorge) to US 4 (Killington/Rutland)
Short pieces that are closed:
- 51.6 - Spruce Peak Shelter area
- 54.4 Vt. 11 & 30 possibly a mile from road heading south
- 70.9 Big Branch Shelter and possibly from there 0.3 north to Danby-Landgrove Rd. (USFS 10)
- 109.7 - 109.9 Thundering Falls Boardwalk
- 127. 9 - Vt. 12 parking area and A.T. immediately south -- bridge is out over Gulf Stream
The official press release with more information and closure maps can be found at http://bit.ly/GMNFpartialOpeningPostIrene.
Both the Thundering Fall boardwalk and the bridge and parking area at Vt. 12 were damaged significantly by Tropical Storm Irene and will not be open anytime soon.
Many roads accessing the A.T. are closed.
9/30/2011 Update on Green Mtn National Forest - most open but 18 mile section of AT still closed.