Monday, July 23, 2012

Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail


No, I have not hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. But I feel as if I have experienced it through the talented writing of Bill Walker, trail name Skywalker.




Having accomplished the Appalachian Trail both north and south, my interests are now aimed toward other trails yet to be hiked. Such as the PCT or Pacific Crest Trail that runs from the Mexico border all the way to Canada, some 2,663 miles in length. I picked up this book with great interest and was not disappointed. The author's engaging style and numerous nail-biting moments on his long journey north, interspersed with human drama and even a history lesson or two all makes for a great read. From being lost in the snow to the hair-raising adventure traversing Mt Whitney to the heat of the desert and lack of basic necessities, there is no lack of fascinating moments. What I liked, too, is the author doesn't downplay the low moments but tells it like it is. It advances the ideal in the long distance hiker's mind--no matter what happens, keep pressing on to the goal. Fulfill the dream. Skywalker fulfilled his with determination and style. May it propel you to fulfill yours.
I highly recommend this adventure read.

Buy the book. 
Skywalker's blog.

Important Resources:

 

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Where can we find e-books or a second hand copy for this one? I am interested in reading this book.

Lauralee Bliss said...

Theresa, You can contact Skywalker directly via his blog to see if the book is available on kindle.